Ben’s extensive legal background brings a unique and informed perspective to the Ross & Shoalmire team. After graduating from Baylor Law School, Ben immediately began working at one of the nation’s premier plaintiff litigation firms – Nix, Patterson & Roach. Ben practiced in state and federal courts throughout the country representing a wide-range of individual and corporate clients in matters involving catastrophic personal injury litigation, sophisticated multi-party patent infringement matters, and complex product liability matters cases. His experience with settlement and resolution of high-stakes complex litigation matters brings unique insight into Ross & Shoalmire’s asset protection, estate, and corporate formation planning.
Ben’s passion for the law centers on helping individuals in their time of need. There is no better way for him to do so than at Ross & Shoalmire by assisting individuals of all ages protect their health and assets and care for their family’s unique needs. Ben regularly helps individuals and families in the following areas:
- Asset Protection - safeguarding individual’s personal and financial assets through individualized asset protection planning
Corporate entity formation - providing liability protection and accomplishing other financial goals
Estate planning - ensuring assets and life savings are preserved during an individual’s lifetime and efficiently transferred to planned beneficiaries
Probate – serving as counsel for executors and individuals probating estates of loved ones who have passed
Guardianships (both contested and uncontested) – assisting individuals seeking to help loved ones obtain the and medical care and financial assistance needed when they can no longer care for those matters themselves
Advance Medicaid planning and Medicaid applications – conserving and securing assets from the often oppressive costs of long term care
Special needs planning - ensuring an appropriate quality of life for disabled individuals and others facing unique life circumstances.
Ben also speaks to civic and community groups throughout Northeast Texas and Southwest Arkansas on a variety of elder law and asset protection issues. He has also co-hosted the Aging Insight radio program.
Ben’s roots are grounded in Northeast Texas. He was born and raised in Pittsburg, Texas and he returned to the area when he moved to Texarkana after graduating from Texas A&M University – College Station and Baylor Law School. While pursuing his degrees in Business Management and his law degree, Ben excelled both academically and in other areas of college. Ben was a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band, and prestigious Ross Volunteer Company (a special unit in the Corps of Cadets serving as the official honor guard for the Governor of the State of Texas). Ben’s success outside of the classroom continued at Baylor. Ben was selected as the outstanding advocate in the Bob & Karen Wortham Mock Trial Competition, was a member of the Order of the Barristers, served as an Articles Editor for the Baylor Law Review and an Editor of the Texas Practice and Procedure edition of the Baylor Law Review, and was selected by Prof. Gerald Powell to serve as his evidence assistant for the esteemed Baylor Law School Practice Court curriculum.
- Juris Doctorate, Baylor Law School; 2005
- Order of the Barristers, Baylor Law Review (Editor)
- Bachelor of Business Administration, Texas A&M University (College Station); 2002
- Member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets, Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band, and Ross Volunteer Company
- Texas – all state courts
- Arkansas – all state courts
- United States District Courts, Eastern District of Texas
- United States District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- Texas Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Eastern District of Texas Bar Association
- Northeast Texas Bar Association
- Texarkana Bar Association
- First Baptist Church Texarkana; Adult Bible Fellowship teacher
- Caddo Area Council-Boy Scouts of America; assistant scout master; associate board member
- Texarkana Youth Soccer Association; coach
- TexAmericas Center; board member representing the City of Texarkana, Texas; board secretary
- Wilbur Smith Rotary Club – Texarkana, Texas;
- Texas A&M University-Texarkana Eagle Club; member and past president