Losing a loved one is hard enough without the added stress of not knowing what to do about their property, possessions, and finances in the immediate aftermath of the death. As hard as it may be to think about a family member’s death, when you are prepared for the inevitable with the right information, this difficult time could be much easier on you and your family. With our free checklist, What to Do After Someone Dies, you will have all the information you need in an easy-to-access format.
Have the Conversation Now
Even if your loved ones are mentally and physically healthy right now, getting our checklist will help you prepare for what will happen sooner or later. Once you have your copy, you can use it to have an important conversation with your loved ones about the following:
- Location of important documents
- Wishes for final arrangements
- Advance directives and powers of attorney
- Working with an estate planning attorney before it’s too late
If your loved one died suddenly, and you did not have the opportunity to get information ahead of time, our checklist will still be a valuable resource.
Helping at Each Stage
In our helpful free document, we explain the steps you should take at each stage after a person’s death. The more you know about what you need to do and the decisions you need to make, the less likely it is that you will make a costly mistake or be taken advantage of.
Our checklist is divided into the following sections:
- Immediately after death. We explain who needs to be notified right after a person dies.
- Within a few days. Important steps must be taken in the first few days to plan a memorial and secure property.
- The first two weeks. You have a couple of weeks to get things together to begin to settle the deceased person’s estate. We go through the steps you will need to take.
- During the year after. Finalizing your loved one’s estate can take a year or more. We guide you through tying up all the loose ends.
You don’t have to go through any of this alone. The Estate Planning and Elder Law attorneys at Ross & Shoalmire, P.L.L.C. are here for you whenever you need us. Take the first step by requesting our checklist today.