using veteran's benefits for senior care neesPaying for senior care can be challenging. However, if you're a veteran (or the spouse of a veteran) who's eligible for a VA pension and you require another person's aid or assistance, you may qualify for a payment increase to help defray the costs of assisted living or nursing home care.

Known as an Aid and Attendance (A&A) allowance, this increase is added to a veteran's monthly pension payments. You may be eligible for an A&A increase if you can answer “yes” to at least one of the following questions:

  • Do you need another person's help to complete daily personal tasks such as dressing, bathing, feeding, etc.?
  • Are you bedridden as a result of your disability or disabilities?
  • Are you in a nursing home due to mental or physical incapacitation? 
  • Is your eyesight limited to a corrected 5/200 visual acuity or less in both eyes; or concentric contraction of the visual field to 5 degrees or less?

A&A benefits aren't automatic; you have to apply for them. This involves completing VA Form 21-2680 (as well as VA Form 21-0779 if you're in a nursing home) and submitting it to the appropriate pension center, along with a comprehensive doctor's report that includes details about your condition, how it affects your ability to care for yourself, how well you're able to get around, and what you do in a typical day. An experienced Elder Law Attorney can help you prepare your application and gather the appropriate supporting documents.

Our Experienced Attorneys Help Veterans Obtain Benefits

Keeping up with the rising costs of senior care can be daunting. At Ross & Shoalmire, our skilled Elder Law Attorneys help veterans obtain the A&A benefits they need and deserve. To learn more about our firm, our legal services, and how we can help you, contact us today to schedule an appointment for a free initial consultation. 

Kristen Ishihara
Kristen Ishihara helps clients in TX and AR with elder law issues, asset protection and estate planning.